Alternative Name :-Vajrasana, Muktasana, Perfect (Perfected) Posture, Perfect Pose, Adept's posture, Gupta Pose, Accomplished Posture, Sidha Mukta Vajra Asana, Muktasana, Guptasana, Siddasana
One of the most popular meditation postures is Siddhasana. The Sanskrit name means "Perfect Pose," because one attains perfection in yoga by meditating in this position. Siddhasana is useful to learn, since it is used as the practice seat for some of the pranayamas and the mudras. The positions of the legs and the hands also contain the body energies by closing the circuits and allowing awakened vital forces to remain in the system during meditation practice.
How to start OR How to reach the stretch :-
- Sit down with both legs outstretched.
- Bend the left knee and place the sole of the left foot against the right thigh so that the heel touches the perineum.
- Bend the right knee and put the right heel against the public bone.
- Keep hands with palms open if done between sunrise and sunset; otherwise reverse the palms.
- The spine should always be held erect.
How to end OR How to release the stretch :-
- To exit, slide the right foot forward off the left foot, straighten the right leg and do the same with the left leg, returning back into dandasana.
How it help or Benfits of Siddhasana:-
- Siddhasana directs the energy from the lower psychic centers upward through the spine, stimulating the brain and calming the entire nervous system.
- Redirects blood circulation to the lower spine and abdomen, toning the lumbar region of the spine, the pelvis and the abdominal organs, and balancing the reproductive system and blood pressure.
- Stabilizes and sublimates sexual energy because of the position of the feet with respect to the genitals.
Precaution of Siddhasana:-
- Siddhasana should not be practiced by those with sciatica.
- For men who are interested in maintaining sexual relations (ie. with no long term commitment to celibacy), use a soft sitting support to lift the genitals high enough so that the base of the penis is not compressed.
- Take care to situate the heels perfectly in the midline.