Alternative Name :-Cowherd Posture, Goatherd Pose, Goraksha Asan, Gay-Raksha Asana
This asana is a minor variant of Bhadrasana.
How to start OR How to reach the stretch :-
- Sit in Dandasana position , fold your legs with knees as wide as possible and bring the feet in front of the groin.
- Keep the soles of the feet opposed and touching each other.
- Make sure you have your heels up and toes touching the ground.
- Hold the ankles with your opposite hands and keep the body straight.
- Close the eyes and concentrate on breathing or attain any of the gazing Mudras.
How to end OR How to release the stretch :-
- Maintain the position as long as you feel comfortable and then revert to the basic asana. Do pranayama and one of the Mudras for 5 minutes after this asana.
How it help or Benfits of Gorakshasana:-
- It prevents development of hernia, relieves sciatica, strengthens leg muscles and tones up the reproductive organs.
- It improves concentration and helps relax the mind.
Precaution of Gorakshasana:-
- People with spinal cord deformities, disabilities of hip joints should not do this asana.