Alternative Name :-Half Moon Pose 1, Ardh Chandra Asan, Adha Chander Asan
In doing the Ardha-Chandrasana (half moon pose) pose; one tunes into the unconscious energy of the moon which changes by waxing and waning. Moon is also a symbolic in yoga. It touches each individual it in its own manner. By doing this asana it makes it more important to raise those energies and use it for the benefit of your body. This energy might be in useful for our tired bodies.
How to start OR How to reach the stretch :-
- Perform Trikonasana to the right side, with your left hand resting on the left hip. Inhale, bend your right knee, and slide your left foot about 6 to 12 inches forward along the floor.
- At the same time, reach your right hand forward, beyond the little-toe side of the right foot, at least 12 inches.
- Exhale, press your right hand and right heel firmly into the floor, and straighten your right leg, simultaneously lifting the left leg parallel (or a little above parallel) to the floor.
- Extend actively through the left heel to keep the raised leg strong.
- Be careful not to lock (and so hyperextend) the standing knee: make sure the kneecap is aligned straight forward and isn’t turned inward.
- Rotate your upper torso to the left, but keep the left hip moving slightly forward.
- Most beginners should keep the left hand on the left hip and the head in a neutral position, gazing forward.|Bear the body’s weight mostly on the standing leg.
- Press the lower hand lightly to the floor, using it to intelligently regulate your balance.
- Lift the inner ankle of the standing foot strongly upward, as if drawing energy from the floor into the standing groin.
- Press the sacrum and scapulas firmly against the back torso, and lengthen the coccyx toward the raised heel.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then perform the pose to the left for the same length of time.
How to end OR How to release the stretch :-
- To release: inhale and press into the feet as you reach the fingers back up towards the ceiling.|Return to Trikonasana. Repeat on other side.
How it help or Benfits of Ardha-Chandrasana-1 :-
- Half moon deeply stretches and opens the sides of the body and improves core body strength, balance and concentration.
- Half moon strengthens the ankles and knees, improves circulation and energizes the entire body.
- Strengthens the abdomen, ankles, thighs, buttocks, and spine.
- Stretches the groins, hamstrings and calves, shoulders, chest, and spine.
- Improves coordination and sense of balance.
- Helps relieve stress and Improves digestion.
Precaution of Ardha-Chandrasana-1 :-
- Recent or chronic injury to the hips, back or shoulders.
- If you have any neck problems, don’t turn your head to look upward; continue looking straight ahead and keep both sides of the neck evenly long.
- If you have headache or migraine, low blood pressure, diarrhea and Insomnia like problems then don’t practice this exercise.